Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

Op dinsdag 16-03-2010 om 06:38 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Jeremy
Nickurak:
> Here's another datapoint I just noticed.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/440865 is still affecting and
> confusing
> users. Incoming SIP calls in particular are difficult to respond to in
> a timely manner. If it's a PSTN-originating call, users only have a
> fixed amount of time to respond before the call goes to voicemail.
> Right now, users require the following process:
>
> 1) Notice notify-osd bubble
> 2) Locate changed indicator bubble on panel
> 3) Open indicator
> 4) Locate incoming call in indicator menu
> 5) Click incoming call
>
> With an interactive notification-daemon:
>
> 1) Notice notification-daemon bubble
> 2) Click 'Accept'

IMO the problem is not really that you need 1 more click, but that if
you miss (the content of) the bubble there is no in-your-face indication
that calls for your attention (the indicator applet is not "annoying"
enough to attract your attention).

I have missed several IM chats simply because I didn't see there was an
incoming message until hours after people tried to talk to me.  The
standard way that most IM clients use is flashing the icon continuously,
and I think the indicator applet should do the same (for incoming calls
& messages, not when somebody comes on-line or such).

Of course the application itself can also do various things to attract
attention (make a ringing sound, popup a bubble every 2 seconds, open a
window, ...?), but IMO it's something that the indicator system/library
should provide.

--
Jan Claeys