Re: indicator applet problem.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 19:11 +0100, dani planas armangue wrote:
>> hi,indicators are a great adoption. but have one problem (integrated,
>> mail, chat, diffusion accounts, etc. ..) and when you reach a new
>> message does not know which category you arrive. This is perhaps an easy
>> solution to the problem
>
> I think that's really interesting.  I don't know if you've looked at the
> design spec for Lucid[1] but there is a small indicator to show if the
> application is currently running.  That's currently in code review.  The
> icon for that that is monochrome to match the other icons.  I would
> imagine that adding color doesn't make as much sense as perhaps changing
> the shape.  I'm not sure which shape means "attention" though without
> being alarming (like an !)
>
>                --Ted
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MessagingMenu

At risk of being the starting point of a bikeshed debate, I think the
coloured icon (maybe even the dot shape) could make a lot of sense.
For one thing, it's more visible, and I think this is something we
really want to be visible. For another thing, it could rhyme with the
colour that the message indicator turns when there are messages.
(Currently it's just lighter grey, but I recall Mark saying that is a
temporary issue, right?).

Oh, and we like dots :)

Bye,
Dylan