Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On 24/03/10 20:27, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> At the risk of sounding facetious, we are talking about *ephemeral*
>>> notifications, correct? Somewhere along the line the vocabulary was
>>> changed and it took me a few emails to realise people weren't talking
>>> about look and feel. Unless light, airy, and tenuous is some high
>>> level experience goal for the notification design.
>>>
>> I think the word "ethereal" is being used in the "cannot be touched"
>> (cannot be interacted with) sense.
>>
> So this is different from the original definition that notifications
> are ephemeral, meaning information of the moment? Or is this in
> addition to?

It was just a synaptic crossed wire, sorry.

Yes, notifications should be thought of as ephemeral. And yes, the
notify-OSD rendering is a particular kind of overlay that can be clicked
through (we'd like to use that for other overlays, when appropriate, so
we do need a good name for that). "Ethereal" wasn't a conscious choice
though, just a word that popped out.

Mark