Re: Gradual-awareness notifications (was Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements)

That was an interesting read, thanks for the pointer. As Celeste said,
the research was a little thin, but nevertheless interesting.

i think this would be more appropriate for the sort of asyncronous
(i.e., triggered by something "out there" rather than user action)
interruption that *requires* a response. Folks have pointed out lots of
examples of these since we started the ephemeral notification push,
because they are badly suited to the ephemeral approach.

Examples are: an incoming call or forced shutdown, impending hard drive
failure, and others. These are things which demand an acknowledgment, on
various time scales (call is nearly immediate, while the others could
give you a minute or two to respond, and need response regardless unlike
the call).

We do need to develop a good approach for the response-required
interruptions. So far, we've put out some guidelines ("pop up a window")
but left it broadly unspecified and not provided any new framework or tools.

Mark