Re: Fwd: Proposal of new UI element for windows in Ubuntu: Esfera

I understand what you mean with "dusty past", but... when we speak about "how to minimize / maximize a window" (either with buttons or a "gesturable button", we're still working on "how to manage dust", and not really on how to vacuum clean it up. :) More clearly, I think that if we remain in a simple WIMP philosophy, we've to target performance : button windows are straightforward, their learning curve is flat (not saying inexistent), and they only need a single action (click) to be used. Any change on these buttons should aim at something which is better, meaning "advantages without any drawback". My opinion is that providing the same feature as before (min/maximizing) in a way that needs more actions to be performed by the user is not good.

The "zeitgeist" mockup is interesting food for thoughts. Some kind of task oriented approach of window management may be interesting. I think there's been studies about desktops implementing things like that (WindowScape, GroupBar, or Scalable Fabric, notably). The general idea is to provide users with an additional level in windows management, allowing a task oriented approach (windows related to a common task are grouped together). Basically, I feel this additionnal level exists, under Ubuntu/Gnome : virtual desktops. But maybe working on a better way to integrate them in everyday use and lambda users would be interesting ?

yann @ lossouarn . net