"Less is more" a look at evolution

Hi all,

I thought id look at evolution after reading Mark's post. Oh and id like
to make a quick notes,

1. I hate most menu structures, a lot of the programs in Gnome tend to
repeat either what is in the main UI or in the preferences dialogues.

2. I love how google chrome and how most of the Windows desktop has
moved away from the menu bar approach to strip out the UI cruft.

3. I think Evolution is one of the worst UIs in the the free desktop
because there is so much wasted space, grey useless space and repeated
functionality in the main UI and the Menus.

Ok so the easy removal first, the status bar is a lot of wasted space
and could be either moved or removed to save space for small screens.

Now the menu structure
File:
New [makes sense]
New window [doesnt make much sense for most users]
Send Receive [is easier to use in the main UI]
Backup settings [should be in the preferences dialog]
Restore settings [should be only in the accounts setup dialog]
Save message [makes some sense but could be done somewhere else]
Subscribe to other users folder [doesnt make much sense for most users]
Permissions [Ive never used this id like to know what people use it for
but it shouldnt be a main menu item]
Import [Ive never used it but I dont mind keeping it there if people use
it]
Page setup [could be done in preferences]
Print preview [could be combined with the print dialog anyway]
Print [is the norm so it should be there]
Empty trash [maybe should be a button in the main UI rather than here]
Download messages for offline usage [If you use pop it does this anyway]
Forget passwords [should be done in the preferences dialog]
Close window [doesnt make too much sense because evolution doesnt work
in the backround like gwibber aggregating and displaying a notification
when a message comes in so it doesnt make sense anyway]
Quit [ok]

Edit:
Copy [why do we need 3 different ways to copy something?]
Select all text [this is the only program that uses this menu item and
ctrl+a is a lot easier]
Delete message [isnt that what the del key on the keyboard is for? Its
in the main UI too and its an option when the user right clicks]
Undelete [this is an insane one IMO]
Find in message [thats what the search box is for]
Sync options [Who has a palm pilot? I dont and thats all this menu item
is for]
Message filters [has its uses but something isnt right about it]
Search folders [thats what the search box is for]
Plugins [Hmmmmm has its uses but they are all enabled by default anyway
but its fine where it is]
Preferences [ok]

Folder: [A lot of this menu is already in the main UI]

if you right click]

Search: [Thats what the search box is for]

Help: [ok]

Its very clear that Evolution is aimed at enterprises and not the bog
standard user on the street. Its interface is clunky and repeats itself
a lot so is quite bad if your using it on a netbook. I use it myself but
after looking at Windows mail client in Windows 7 and Thunderbird 3,
Evolution looks like it was designed in 1998. If you look at all the
white space in the UI its quite ridiculous. We should really give it a
serious design look for 10.10

Anyone else any thoughts on Evolution?

Regards,
Shane Fagan