Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

Hello Akshay

Sorry I didn't see your message until now.

Akshay Gupta wrote on 15/03/10 16:47:
> I posted a GSoC project Idea on the ubuntu-soc list yesterday and I
> thought it'd be more appropriate if I run it down by developers in the
> Ayatana list.
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-soc/2010-March/000047.html
>
> Some of the things that this project could help solve :
>
> 1.) Make the OSD customizable
>      * setting up persistence time
>      * UI modifications over a basic structure
>      * Font size/style
>      ...other similar stuff we can decide upon.

This much has already been implemented by John Ledbetter.
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1235732>
<http://leolik.blogspot.com/2009/12/notify-osd.html>

> 2.) Most of the above things would be customized by an OSD Manager that
> could handle all those by a native GTK+ application.

If we needed an OSD Manager, I think that would be a sign that we'd done
something fundamentally wrong. We don't have a Dialog Manager, or a
Progress Window Manager, or a Tooltip Manager. We just have general
Appearance settings.

> 3.) Implementing unresolved work in the Design Specs.

It would be great if someone could do that, especially the
length-dependent duration.

> A few design features that I have in mind (possibly conflicting from
> the specs in the wiki) :
>
> 1.) Stacking, that'd make the bubbles dock downwards as they are
> initiated and start to stack up as the bubble times finish away.

The idea is that a bubble should stay on screen long enough for you to
read it. If two or more bubbles were on screen at once, you'd have only
half the time to read each. We could compensate for that by making them
both stick around twice as long -- but that would mean the more bubbles
arrived at once, the more annoying each of them would be.

> 2.) A close button on the corner of the bubble as soon as a mouseover
> occurs (like Growl, instead of disappearing away)

Thanks, but we're not particularly interested in that.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/