Re: Indicators for showing progress

> What would be the usefulness of showing the download portion of these
> tasks in a menu?

Huh? It wouldn't be "the download portion of a task", I'm talking about
tasks that *are* downloads.

> And if package downloads in particular shouldn't be shown in the menu
> (Update Manager is another example of this), what would be the dividing
> line between downloads that should be in the menu and downloads that
> shouldn't?

The mental process behind downloading things and installing packages
is essentially different. For packages the user goes: "I want to
install this". Download is just a part of the whole process, and not
even obligatory (for example, when apt already has the packages
cached from a previous attempt). For download, the user goes "I want
this save this file to my hard drive". He doesn't need to install it,
open it, or ever touch it if he does not want.

So, for this case I think the line is clear. Is there any other case
that might be blurry?