Re: Indicators for showing progress

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:26, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Huh? It wouldn't be "the download portion of a task", I'm talking about
> tasks that *are* downloads.

if the goal is to design an informative download indicator menu, i seriously
would want to consider listing *all* download bandwidth relevant processes
the user called himself - including update manager's package downloads..

@Conscious User: we don't have to look at every single package's progress in
% only the average progress of update manager. if that is too much already,
we'll just leave it for the "advanced" window you and MPT spoke about.

and there's a name for the aforementioned proposed service:
Download Manager. simple, telling and consistent, everybody will get it ;)

we could then call Download Manager from its indicator menu, in order to
reprioritize the downloading processes e.g. to watch a movie, or to "finish
downloading that large file to my USB stick before i leave the computer for
an urgent meeting".
this would be especially beneficial to people on slower internet
connections.

about listing the progress of large media file conversion, rendering and
writing-to-disk:
that's something for a souped up system monitor to handle!

we have the apps, everything is there already, no need to re-invent the
wheel all over.
let's just give the whole thing a reasonable scalable character and
direction with perspective.
things will practically develop themselves, as we stand by watching :D