Re: Windicators

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Tyler Brainerd <tylerbrainerd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I disagree. I think it will only be good for the user if we have
> consistent rules in the windicator area. Many mans can be moved their
> for simplification of control. I'm thinking we'll see a huge explosion
> of using rolled up windows again, as much functionality can be
> contained in this area.

Hey, that's a nice point. I commented on Mark's blog, asking if there
were plans for the window list to this end, since I am still pondering
that mockup / maybe working example / thing I told MPT I would make
about a week ago. (All these discussions have rocked my world!)

On the other hand, it may be interesting to explore shading as a
complete replacement to minimizing, though there's probably something
else to be done. If my history is right, earlier GUIs did shading
instead of having a window list to minimize to, but they all moved
away from it.
I guess this Gnome Shell mockup I made is fairly relevant to that end,
though ugly looking:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/WindowTrays

Oh, let's not have for the Windicators what has just been cured for
the panel, by the way. The mockup presents a lot of completely
different indicators, and I am having trouble categorizing them. They
seem very spontaneous, and at that rate there's nothing stopping an
entire application from living inside its title bar :b

I would really love it if you folks wrote up a nice, quick to
understand document for application developers about when to use
indicators, with the how and why located somewhere else, like you did
with the NotifyOSD stuff.

Thanks!
Dylan