Re: Redesigning the Ubuntu mouse cursor for simple notification of app attention

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 02:24, Alex Launi <alex.launi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I usually move my cursor completely out of view when I'm not using it. I've
> definitely seen my roommate, brother, and mom all do the same.

that's a problem.
how about removing the mouse cursor altogether while typing?
if the last known position of it was within the text field, the two cursors
are, as so many buttons and tools in our evolving DE, mutually exclusive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_exclusion

this can be dealth with easily.
once the cursor wants to leave the focused text window area, it becomes a
mouse pointer again.

I don't think the cursor is a good place to be trying to convey information
> unless it's actively being used such as hand over links, resize handle, etc.

the focal point is a good place. that's what i extract out of your statement