Re: No "application bucket" needed

On 17 May 2010 11:40, David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> More specifically, I'm interested in why people use minimize-to-tray
> instead of regular minimize. My suspicion is that it's easier to
> recall minimized windows by clicking on indicators than by clicking on
> the window list.
>
> If a window "minimizes to tray" instead of closing when the Close
> button is clicked, this just means that Close has become another
> Minimize button, and the tray has become another window list. Ugly!

Like I said, I believe it's simply down to lack of space. The default
window-switcher is rubbish with many windows and truncates titles
quite quickly. Using a dock that uses icons like dockbarx, (which
groups by application and shows full window titles in the apps window
list on hover), I can run my email client, music player etc. minimized
and it doesn't get in my way. Without dockbarx and I start using
minimize to tray for those apps because it clutters the window list.
Most of the feedback from my other Ayatana thread "Is it time to kill
minimize to tray?" seems to indicate other users agree.

Luke.