Re: Tabs

Hi  everybody,

first off, let me just clarify what Dylan said for Frederik:

"Are you saying that e.g. Firefox should have a seperate, different sidebar
for each tab that is open? Please apply your theory to how Firefox should
rather handle tabs in your vision.."

I don't mean to steal Dylan's explanation and please correct me if i
explained anything wrong since i of course want to understand better
myself;)

All he meant was that if an Application utilizes a GTKNotebook Widget for
Tabs that could as well be interpreted as top-level Windows, those
Applications should utilize a new type of Widget to expose the toplevel
treatment of the Tabs to the system to distinguish it from Applications that
use the GTKNotebook Widget for content that cannot stand on its own two
feet, for example the Icons Tab in the Appearance Settings. The look and
feel of the Tabs should remain the same, the true advantages are laid out on
the Backend and will make it easier to adopt special treatments for Tabs
where those are demanded.

While we're at the Subject, may i propose the Name GTKTablevel for that
Widget ? xD

Now to my actual reason i'm writing here, you may hate it, you may love it,
maybe somebody already posted something alike, however i have read a lot
into Tabs lately, be it the way Gnome-Shell handles AltTab with grouped
windows or the Mozilla Labs Project from `09 concerning Tabs in the Browser
http://design-challenge.mozillalabs.com/summer09/index_old.html.

It made me think about how Tabs only got invented so people won`t overfill
their Taskbar and didn't have to run 10 instances of a Browser at once.
Still, a Website remains a Toplevel Document and it should be emphasized as
such. Now ever since Dylan mentioned a GTKWidget that separates such Tabs
from Content-specific Tabs it just struck me, why can't i select a Tab from
AltTab if its in no way related to any other Document i have open. And since
i really didn't have anything better to do and im really not the guy with
words i made a Mockup for your enjoyment. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Oh, before i forget, Windicators are taken into consideration as well.

Thanks for being patient and see the Attachment :)

Best Regards, Joern