Re: Combo Indicator Applets

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 16:08, Ted Gould <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anything that's not a system indicator :)  The library that handles this
> fallback is libappindicator.  You can find any application using
> libappindicator like this:
>
>   $ apt-cache rdepend libappindicator0
> Probably the simplest case in Lucid is to look at the Rhythmbox application
> indicator or the GNOME Power Manager one.

So, what distinguishes a system indicator from an application indicator?
>From the users' perspective, we have an "Indicator Applet Session" (which in
behaivor is actually a "Session Indicator Applet", that is to say, an applet
that indicates what your session looks like), an "Indicator Applet", which
shows both Application and System indicators? Is the messaging menu an
Application indicator or a System indicator? Or a third category?

Removing both the session and application indicator applets from my panel,
and logging out and logging in, I do see rhythbox and the power applet
reappear, but not until I logout/login. That's nice.

Empathy seems to handle this via its own logic, reverting to its legacy
notification-area icon. Likewise, where does the messaging menu go? Where
should it go?

These seem to be inconsistencies that are yet unresolved... do they need
bugs filed against them?

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-