Re: No "application bucket" needed

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 01:10, Luke Morton <luke.morton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> In the process of writing this, I realised the problem I have with
> applications closing to the tray is that it makes the consequences of
> closing windows inconsistent.
>
> * Closing the only window for a non-tray application causes the
> application to quit.
> * Closing the only window for a tray application does not cause the
> application to quit.
> * Most applications are not tray applications so their non-quitting
> behaviour is inconsistent with the majority.
>
> Consider: if you've just opened an application that you've never used
> before, what would you expect to happen if you closed its window?

yes, finally someone!

So I think the thing that causes usability problems is actually
> inconsistent exiting behaviour.

Behaviour? This means client-side, not WM, correct?

> If applications never exited when their
> last window was closed, this wouldn't be a problem. (Incidentally, I
> think this is the approach Mac OS X takes.)

their close button is not red IIRC.

> > Hitting "close" on one web browser window doesn't terminate the
> > web-browser process, and the other windows associated with it.
>
> It does if its the only window.

wow, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't, it makes up for its totally
inconsistent behaviour with asking the user additional questions on exit..
We all know that's a trace of suboptimal design consistency.