Fw: Re: Rethink the noninteractive Live CD default boot?

Arrgh, I just realized that I used an email address not registered with Ayatana when I sent this earlier, so apologies for the double post :^(

--- On Mon, 5/24/10, erickbrunzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <erickbrunzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: erickbrunzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <erickbrunzell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Rethink the noninteractive Live CD default boot?
To: "Michael Forrest" <michael.forrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, May 24, 2010, 7:46 AM

Thank you for your reply Michael.

Regarding your reason #2: "To distill the options presented to an Ubuntu newcomer down to the one
real decision: 'Try Ubuntu' or 'Install Ubuntu'", I have always felt, and therefore recommended, that the very first decision should be to "Check disc for defects".

Otherwise if the Live Desktop fails to run properly or, even worse, if an installation fails the first question I always ask is if the CD passed the integrity test. I'm unsure if you saw my original message so I'm pasting it below. I'd certainly appreciate it if you'd take a few minutes to review some of the more inflammatory recent posts at launchpad (I'm Erick Brunzell):

As I found out iso-testing prior to Lucid Beta 1
the Live CD now requires user interaction to display menu options:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/539172

At first this seemed fine but having used this more and more I find
it to be only annoying. Consider the following:

1) It creates confusion for those who are new to Ubuntu. I've seen
this a lot at the forums.

2) We've only moved the interactive part to a later point in the boot
 cycle because you still must choose whether to just "run" Ubuntu or
install Ubuntu, so this really did not result in a faster boot.

3) With that "move" all we've done is "remove" the options to check
CD for defects, adjust boot parameters, etc. without an otherwise
unnecessary reboot which only results in frustration.

4) Even after learning of the new "boot behavior" the option to press
 any key passes so quickly that even an unplanned phone call or some
other interruption can cause me to miss the opportunity, and increasing
that "time out" would only increase the boot time.

I'm curious what others think about this. We could possibly plan
changes for the first "point release" of Lucid and I'd think certainly
for Maverick,
and no time like the present ;^)
Thank you again.

        As I found out iso-testing prior to Lucid Beta 1 the Live CD
now requires user interaction to display menu options:

Michael Forrest, cc'd, is the right person to chat with about the
install CD experience. Michael, could you reply on-list for everyone's
benefit?

Mark

There are two important reasons for this change.1. To create a consistent look-and-feel across the entire Live CD / Installation experience2. To distill the options presented to an Ubuntu newcomer down to the one real decision: 'Try Ubuntu' or 'Install Ubuntu'
ThanksMichael