Re: Papercut or not? Bug #495403 in One Hundred Paper Cuts: “Do not raise windows or dialogs without user input”

On 24 May 2010 21:34, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> It's definitely not a papercut :-)
>
> Personally, I think trying to prevent focus-stealing does more harm than
> good. If you do that, you end up with a LOT of suboptimal situations
> like windows opening in the background. So I'm +1 the current band-aid.

The popularization of virtual keyboards in mobile devices made me
think of another possibility:
have an always-on keyboard buffer that caches everything the user
types, no matter what the focused window does with the keypresses
(except for password fields). That way if a popup dialog steals focus,
the user's typing is not lost - you still can refocus the original
window and copy/paste from the buffer.

Definitely not a solution for a papercut.