Progress dialogs & minimising applications

I had an operation running on an open document today. During the operation,
further use of the application is not possible:

http://images.jarlath.multiply.com/image/1/photos/17/600x600/1/progress.png?et=pMgx3nnyrF6eyBHZJlGqXw&nmid=339355362

So I minimized the application to get on with something else in the mean
time. But of course, I can't see the progress then. I was fantasising at how
great it would be to have something like this for a minimized app:

http://images.jarlath.multiply.com/image/1/photos/17/600x600/2/p-desktop.png?et=lztbS%2BxwhD9LOUNQSMavBA&nmid=339355362

These are time consuming operations because they are processor intensive and
lock you out of the GUI while being performed. I'm thinking that maybe the
casual user will not encounter this situation with the default apps though,
except for example when Evolution does a large IMAP or POP download, or when
updates are being installed.

But I think it could be interesting...

Follow ups