Re: Papercut or not? Bug #495403 in One Hundred Paper Cuts: “Do not raise windows or dialogs without user input”

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 00:50 +0100, Greg K Nicholson wrote:
> > I'm not sure if I agree with this one. I dedicate some workspaces to
> > a single fullscreen app (ex: firefox), and I never bother to peek at
> > the taskbar of those workspaces because nothing else is supposed to
> > be there. The suggestion above would make alert windows appear
> > behind firefox and stay there for a long time before me noticing.
>
> Great! If you're busy using Firefox you don't want to be distracted.
>
> Once your attention leaves Firefox, you'll find this new window and
> you can act upon it. If it was anything urgent, you'd have a red
> indicator in the panel.

This doesn't work very well if an application in one workspace opens a
modal dialog under a long living application in another workspace.

When you're temporarily done with the long living application and go
back to the other workspace, you find the application unresponsive for
apparently no reason. I found myself killing the "rogue" application and
starting over, at times just to have yet another modal dialog pop under
my long living application again.

I wonder why dialogs (especially modal dialogs) do not open in the same
workspace as the main window.