Re: Progress dialogs & minimising applications

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:25, Scott E. Armitage <
launchpad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>

>> If we do it at the Unity level, then it's one-progress-per-app, and I
>> agree with your 5, the App should decide which progress to show, or
>> amalgamate them into a single one ("you have n things downloading,
>> overall you are 54% done" is not unreasonable).
>>

> Not unreasonable at all; it is a limited space we're working with, and you
> don't want to inundate the user with information overload. This is supposed
> to be a quick reference to see when an app is done something, not an overall
> system progress monitor.

well, perhaps for the overall system, yet focusing operation relevant
information, instead of pouring out unuseful technical verbosity.

Update Manager has this one progress bar that can be viewed as single
detailed progress visualizations for the respective sub-processes, too. To
take this a step further, this "dynamic emblem" is the basis of what the
once proposed category indicator for file transfer[1] and disk writes could
eventually look like, since dynamic emblems deal straight with the relevant
processes visible in the interaction focus of the user..

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg01334.html