Re: Libappindicator rejected as an external dependancy for Gnome 3.0

Le jeudi 03 juin 2010 à 19:05 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak a écrit :
> The one thing it suggests to me immediately is that the notification
> area isn't going anywhere anytime soon, in the world outside Ubuntu.

> I know the idea of removing the notification area entirely is in the
> works for Ubuntu, but if the rest of the world at large is going to
> stick with it... what's the compatability option? Should the
> application indicator applet accept normal notification icons (passing
> left, middle, right, and hover events through correctly)? Or does the
> idea of ditching the notification area need to be revisited? Or, is
> Ubuntu going to move away from supporting the notification area
> entirely, diverging further from what the rest of the Linux desktop
> world looks like?

Jeremy, calm down, you seem to be talking like this is the ultimate
evidence that libappindicator will never be adopted upstream and an
emergency plan is needed, or something. :)

Let's calmly focus on what's been said. I quote:

" + libappindicator (external dependency)
   - it doesn't integrate with gnome-shell
   - probably depends on GtkApplication, and would need integration in
     GTK+ itself.
   - we wished there was some constructive discussion around it, pushed
     by the libappindicator developers; but it didn't happen.
   - there's nothing in GNOME needing it.
   => rejected for the reasons stated above "

So, it seems the problem was more lack of communication than
anything technical or conceptual. This is particularly evidenced
by the fact that the second item is speculative.

A more open discussion should start with the Gnome devs, bearing in
mind an important thing: the consistency goals for status icons in
Gnome 3 are *remarkably similar* to the consistency goals of
Ayatana, going as far as proposing everything to be a menu:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Guidelines/SystemStatus

Thoughts?