Re: Libappindicator rejected as an external dependancy for Gnome 3.0

On 04/06/10 07:50, Conscious User wrote:
>    - there's nothing in GNOME needing it.

This is a nice little catch-22. "We don't need to consider it for
inclusion because nothing uses it." and "Nothing should use it because
it's not an approved dependency."

Unfortunately, Gnome is no more immune to politics than any other body
of people. The Gnome Shell folks have said that they don't want to use
the Indicator framework which we've published, that they have different
designs in mind, and that they will get around to actually developing
that code in due course. In the meanwhile, they would prefer that
projects not use the Indicators.

Nevertheless, lots of projects *are* using the Indicators, partly
because they like them and partly because they want their app to make
the most of whichever platform it's running on. In practice, there is no
reason for an app not to include and #ifdef support for indicators, and
I would encourage anybody who's working on an app which fits into the
Indicator framework to do so. I have no doubt that Gnome will bless that
officially in due course.

Mark