Re: Software Center Donate Button

Thanks for another subtle but excellent idea, Akshat!

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 16:01, Akshat Jain <ssj6akshat1234@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
> I want to know if there are any plans for having a Donate button for free
> software projects in Software Center 3.0 or 4.0?
> If not then it will be great to have one.
>
> Regards
> Akshat

Bringing product and consumer closer to collaborating is definitely the way
to go.
Some FOSS projects are more interested in user testing, others want a
particular expert for a particular position within the team, others need
translation and again others want to live off donations alone.

How exactly you will contribute should be handled by the vendor/developer
team.

The simplest way to solve this would be to invite all Software Center App
Development teams to create a webpage called "Contribute" consistently on
their respective project homepages.
This will also help to bring some more consistency into the thousands FOSS
project homepages.

so here again the steps required for your proposal IMO:
* layout a consistent web-interface for project contribution based on
http://www.ubuntu.com/community
* add "Contribute" button/page to project homepages of Ubuntu Software
Center apps
* add "Contribute" button to already compatible items in "Software Center"

comments?