Re: Collecting up Messaging Menu applications

nice thoughts here!

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 15:56, Jorge O. Castro <jorge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I ran into this yesterday:
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/add-more-apps-to-ubuntu-messaging-menu.html
>
> ... and I realized that more and more people are making applications
> for the messaging menu and they're all over the place. We should
> embrace this enthusiasm for the technology with some organization so
> we can get this goodness out to users. I've started this wiki page
> here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MessagingMenu/Applications
>
> Reasons for this:
>
>  * We need to make it more obvious to app developers that we can help
> them use the Messaging Menu (and app indicators, and the application
> menu, etc.)
>  * Getting application authors talking to /each other/ can be a big
> collaboration win.
>  * Some people like to develop, not package, some people are opposite,
> this will help us connect those two groups and get people using this
> stuff.
>  * Jono is working on a process for application authors to quickly
> (heh) get applications into the Software Center. This kind of
> application is perfect for this sort of thing:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PostReleaseApps/Process
>  * Authors would appreciate the exposure to help get testing, new
> contributors, etc.
>  * Users would end up getting these cool new apps in a less complicated
> way.
>
> So, as you run into these applications, please feel free to add them
> to the wiki. Perhaps an author has an application but doesn't know how
> to set up a PPA, you can help point them in the right direction, etc.
> If you need any help with any of these apps let me know!

Messaging needs a high level philosophy.
Being a social OS, Ubuntu is destined to handle messaging in a comfortable
and efficient way.

Some Ayatana ML threads have touched arms of this innovation octopus..
Here what i want to remember in all this:

- improve email (notify independently of bulky UMAs and suites
- make Contact List a top priority super accessible service
- organize Rx messaging in layers of conversation-inherent urgency:
   1. "Now" services (VoIP, video calls, IRC)
   2. "Instant" services (IM / poke / status messages)
   3. Delayed Interaction (email, sharing, invitations, broadcast)
- organize Tx messaging in sequence of natural thought:
   1. What do i intend to send
   2. Who do i want to send it to
   3. How urgently do i require response

These are just thoughts from the top of my head, inspired by all the
discussion that has been aimed at social communication so far.

Perhaps thinking a long these lines might help not simply stacking up apps
in the Messaging Menu again, as the notification area used to do already.

I believe we need to give all the excellent social networking and messaging
code out there a high-level integration framework to actually give them
purpose, this way we avoid falling back into anarchy with our pretty
Messaging Menu