Re: Indicators for showing progress

Hi MPT (dead threads live longer)

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 13:33, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Conscious User wrote on 21/04/10 21:26:
> >
> >> What would be the usefulness of showing the download portion of these
> >> tasks in a menu?
> >
> > Huh? It wouldn't be "the download portion of a task", I'm talking about
> > tasks that *are* downloads.
> > The mental process behind downloading things and installing packages
> > is essentially different. For packages the user goes: "I want to
> > install this". Download is just a part of the whole process, and not
> > even obligatory (for example, when apt already has the packages
> > cached from a previous attempt). For download, the user goes "I want
> > this save this file to my hard drive". He doesn't need to install it,
> > open it, or ever touch it if he does not want.
> >
> > So, for this case I think the line is clear. Is there any other case
> > that might be blurry?
>
> Downloads of archive files (such as .gz or .zip), where extracting them
> should happen automatically after the download. In Safari's Downloads
> window, for example, it's shown using the same progress bar.

Epiphany opens stuff automatically by default, i like that. Unfortunately it
steals focus from me, when e.g. opening a downloaded .zip in File Roller..

I love the way Epiphany handles bookmarks, but the download indicator it
adds to the notification area is just lovely in my eyes.. that's the correct
path IMO
i attached a screenshot.

What Mathusalem failed at was seperating the categories of what is being
downloaded within the list.. Messaging Menu for example does this with
simple horizontal rulers, seperating CHAT, BROADCAST and EMAIL

for our download/progress indicator menu, we could use the categories
DOWNLOADS, APPLICATIONS, UPLOADS for example..

any fresh ideas on this?