Re: Farewell to the notification area

2010/6/15 Jeremy Nickurak <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Here's an idea: Just leave the notification icons in the panel. They
> should show up right next to the existing indicator icons. This could
> be done in the same indicator-applet or in a seperate
> notification-area applet, it doesn't really matter. What's important
> is that they should have the full, normal,  legacy behavior of
> notification icons, right down to tooltips and
> left/middle/right-clicks. Everything works just the way people would
> have expected 2-8 years ago.
>
> For ubuntu's purposes, you just make sure none of the major
> ubuntu-supported applications use the notification area API. If the
> user doesn't run anything with the notification area API, they'll
> never see an icon there, and it'll never take up any space, and it'll
> never feel inconsistent. If they do use applications that aren't
> ubuntu-supported, they'll work, just with a little less consistency.

This seems like the best idea. When using Wine to get non-standard
applications to work, you are consciously stepping outside the regular
experience and some inconsistency is expected.

I'm all for deprecating and forcing applications to modernize and fit in,
but only when there is an actual chance it may happen. Breaking the now
working experience of non-controllable but common use cases seems too much
like punishing the user because there is no substitute application in Ubuntu
and can only lead to a bad experience.

/ K