Re: Yet another discussion on window resizing - where does the problem lie?

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 09:33 -0700, Dylan McCall wrote:
> And now, I'll bring your attention back to everyone's favourite bug,
> lp:160311 (“Resizing windows by grabbing window borders is
> difficult”).
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/metacity/+bug/160311

While this is a wildly debated bug, I wonder where the real problem
lies...

- Why does one want to resize a window? rather, why should it be
resized?
- How often is the window requiring a resize?
- What are the applications which cause this problem?
- Is this an application or a window manager or a theme problem ?

I'v never found the need to resize firefox & evolution [always
maximized] or the various prefs dialogue windows[which have the right
size].

Rarely resize certain windows - eg: nautilus,xchat,liferea,terminal.
These remember the last size I had set them to and they open in the same
size[seems to be the case with almost every application in the default
install]. Which I rarely adjust more than once. The most common action I
do with them is maximize.

Very often need to resize Inkscape,GIMP windows which is mostly to
zoom-in to see more of the content. [Inkscape does remember the window
size for each image separately, but often opens up to an odd default
size]

Now again, why are people resizing windows? Shouldnt it be fixed in the
applications to show the content without requiring a resize?

--
Cheers,
Vish