Re: Start Menu Concept

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:18 AM, David Hamm <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll match your quote, "This is what I imagine purgatory to be. A vortex of
> eternal clicking."
>
> with a quote, "imo, id have just applications and recent with a side arrow
> to expand either, knocking out the places when expanded."

Expansion could be good. Detecting when the mouse is near the menu edge and
adding more offerings. For speedy usage, I usually like those kind of things
to be mundane and predictable though.

> so in essence it would by default look like the windows start menu, with a
> (new recent tab), and an expand tab like gshell. There is no way to show all
> applications without a scroll bar, or more then one click...

Gnome is doing it at the moment. One click to launch the menu, and one more
to choose the program. You can even scroll large menus just by putting your
mouse arrow at the bottom of the list. You can try this by reducing your
monitor resolution  to say 800x600 and using the System->Preferences menu.

> thanks for reading guys....

Thanks for the creative idea. I was also thinking that if the "Devices" and
"Places" in your mockup were labelled, like they are now in Gnome, it would
look more organized. What do you think?