Re: Me Menu - Review

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 14:46, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On 21/06/10 10:42, James Putt wrote:
>
> I agree colour is significant. I was considering that the top menu by
> convention is monochromatic with certain colours having a particular
> meaning, and how having different icons in the drop down menu to the icons
> representing the menu would play out.
>

> In order to avoid the panel going gaudy, and to *keep* colour significant,
> we should only use colour for "off-nominal and exceptional" situations.

yes one can indicate presence status without color, see here:
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Icon_Metaphors
yet the first thing is to replace the bubbles in the MeMenu with symbolic
icons that represent not solely chat.

> So we need to think carefully about whether being offline is an "alert"
> condition or not. I don't really think it is.

Online/offline status doesn't belong into the Me Menu.

The statuses the MeMenu wants to indicate, IIRC, are presence status and
sign-in status of social services, not online status.

Offline/Online belongs somewhere else.
Martin Owens registered a blueprint for this last year, you can find it
here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/lucid-online-status