Re: Should we change how/when Release Notes are displayed?

Lance wrote on 11/06/10 02:50:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/576724
>
> I gave things a look and while it looks good where's the suggestion to
> read the Release Notes before proceeding?
>
> I do a lot of distro hopping just to see what's going on elsewhere, so
> I always read, study, read, study ........ but many don't!
>
> So, should we change how and/or when Release Notes are displayed?

As far as I know, no-one has ever decided what Ubuntu's release notes
are for, who should read them, or when.

The first version with release notes was apparently 5.10. They had a
summary of "What's new" and "Downloading and installing", along with
four "Known issues". <http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/releasenotes/510>

Until 9.10, there was a button in the installer that opened a Web
browser to display the release notes. But as of 10.04, this button is
shown only if both (a) the installer knows of a critical issue about
installation in particular and (b) there is an Internet connection.
Release notes are not shown for upgrades at all.

Ubuntu's release notes have been getting steadily geekier over time. For
example, since 6.10 they no longer tell you how to get help or technical
support; since 7.10 they have been surrounded by wiki paraphernalia; and
since 8.10 the number of "known issues" listed has been well over 20.
<http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/releasenotes/510>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseNotes>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyReleaseNotes>
<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/704>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/ReleaseNotes>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseNotes>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseNotes>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyJackalope/ReleaseNotes>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseNotes>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes>

Compare with the release notes for Windows 7
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=139ff495-0cd2-4e88-be98-1090867ab28f&displaylang=en>,
Mac OS X 10.6.4 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4150>,
iOS 4 <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1058>, or (especially) Firefox 3.6
<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/releasenotes/>.

> I sort of picture a "pop-up" when the download begins suggesting one
> read the release notes. Then again that may be obtrusive.

In their current length, format, and language, displaying the release
notes to end users would be inappropriate.

- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/