Re: Should we change how/when Release Notes are displayed?

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As far as I know, no-one has ever decided what Ubuntu's release notes
> are for, who should read them, or when.

I can definitely see that. However, I have noticed that ubuntu.com
rarely mentions the release notes nowadays. For a fresh install you
get pointed to the Tour (maybe), then Download.

If you choose Upgrade from the “Get Ubuntu” page, there is a link to
the release notes in the introduction, but that is really the only one
I have been able to find. To me, it looks like this document is only
reaching the people who are upgrading and people watching the
ubuntu-announce mailing list.
I guess its dry content is fairly logical, with that in mind, but it
could be So Much More!

> Ubuntu's release notes have been getting steadily geekier over time. For
> example, since 6.10 they no longer tell you how to get help or technical
> support; since 7.10 they have been surrounded by wiki paraphernalia; and
> since 8.10 the number of "known issues" listed has been well over 20.
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/releasenotes/510>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseNotes>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdgyReleaseNotes>
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/704>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/ReleaseNotes>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyReleaseNotes>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseNotes>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyJackalope/ReleaseNotes>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseNotes>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes>
>
> Compare with the release notes for Windows 7
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=139ff495-0cd2-4e88-be98-1090867ab28f&displaylang=en>,
> Mac OS X 10.6.4 <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4150>,
> iOS 4 <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1058>, or (especially) Firefox 3.6
> <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6/releasenotes/>.
>
>> I sort of picture a "pop-up" when the download begins suggesting one
>> read the release notes. Then again that may be obtrusive.
>
> In their current length, format, and language, displaying the release
> notes to end users would be inappropriate.

Blender has a stellar example of release notes done right. Here's a
recent example:
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-250/

They carefully explain the new features in an orderly way, provide
some sample projects, and list known issues.

It is certainly a more complex project than other release notes, but
consider that all those things would otherwise be found amidst
hundreds of redundant forum threads, articles and tutorials scattered
about the web. Blender's release notes fill that need immediately,
making things easier for the end user and the community. Because it's
all one document, everything follows a consistent style so it's easy
to follow. A user can become quickly acquainted with the new release
(including its quirks) from one place, and then get to work.

Blender's approach also more engaging! The pretty pictures and the
detailed explanations warm my heart every time. They always make me
excited about a new release.

On a slightly related note, this is bringing to my head a hint to the
futility of a slideshow for the upgrader like we have in the
installer, which has been discussed (and poked at) for a while. It
would just be too long for the medium, so I don't think it would
really be very useful. It would be consumed more like a “tip of
minute,” where there's a different tip every time the user checks on
the upgrade progress. I don't think the number of people benefiting
from that would be at all significant.

I'm happy to spend some time helping with AWESOME release notes if
someone wants to take the lead. I think it would work way better in
this context :)
I don't think it would have to replace the existing release notes,
which are more technically focused. Rather, the two documents could
complement each other neatly.