Re: Condensed menuitems

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Cody Russell <bratsche@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jorge Castro just pinged me and showed me the following:
> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/06/google-chrome-tests-unified-menu.html
> Kind of interesting, and I thought I'd post it to the list (if it hasn't
> already been posted) and see what our design-minded community thinks of
> these types of condensed menuitems.  They strike me as potentially
> interesting since we're always looking for ways to save vertical space on
> UNE.
> The obvious issue is that accelerator/shortcut labels are not displayed for
> these items.

Obviously, but when you think of it:
If you use the menu for copying and pasting, you are clearly _not_ a
keyboard shortcut person. And everyone else knows the combinations
anyway.

Sure, the learning effect is destroyed. But how much is it worth to
have a cluttery shortcut hint displayed that you are going to ignore
anyway when you can have an awesome bundled function pair?

We don’t really need a way to access the menu faster (as in global
menu), we need a way to access the _items_ faster. Chromium and Mac OS
help search serve as great examples.