Re: Restart Required

When clicking "Install Updates" in update-manager, USER should be warned
explicitly that doing so will require a restart. USER should know this well,
before updating.

*Does* Ubuntu warn the user beforehand that the updates about to be made
will eventually require a restart? I can't recall..

On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 09:40 -0500, Cody Russell wrote:

> > So I've gone ahead and made this change in bzr

thanks a lot, Cody ;)
Is the "Restart To Complete Updates.." text red now?

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 19:19, Vishnoo <vish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That said ,even if the menu ends up longer for a translation, this is
> not a permanent menu item and is displayed only when a restart is
> required.

This solution is functional, but far from elegant, as you already pointed
out between the lines.

* Log Out
* Suspend
* Hibernate
* Restart
* Shutdown

All verbs.
All unambiguous instructions.
"Restart Required" was different completely in that Restart is a noun here,
first of all.
This was inconsistent and confusing.. good we got rid of it!
The new formulation is definitely closer to a correct solution..

On the other hand, adding a whole sentence where a single word (Restart)
worked perfectly introduces a regression problem, but i'll stop my bikeshed
commentary for now ;)

Which is better than having an ambiguous menu item which user would not
> easily understand.

MPT's spec¹ places an info icon beside the "Restart" menu item, when a
restart is required. I think adding this visual metaphor contributes greatly
to solving our problem.

¹https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SessionMenu