Re: [Usability] The Future of Window Borders, Menu Bars, and More

 On 19/08/10 10:48, Allan Caeg wrote:
> That could work for Unity (though I'm not very familiar with it), but
> we also have to think about other platforms. Got to think about
> something that will work upstream (GNOME).

Ah, you touch on my sensitivities!

From our perspective, Unity is "upstream", it's design and lead
implementation is completely independent of the Ubuntu team. It's also
as much part of GNOME as something like Zeitgeist and lots of other
projects that have started out in the wild and moved to the center over
time. We would like Gnomers to think of it as a proud contribution from
Canonical, and we're a little hurt when people suggest otherwise. So,
tread softly when you tread on folks dreams, even if inadvertently ;-)

> Let's not forget other desktop environments too. It's Firefox on the
> Linux desktop that we're talking about so there's a lot more to it
> than its presence on Unity.

Indeed, I would expect FF to inspect its environment and use the right
tools as available, and we'd support making that easy for the Unity case.

Mark