Re: unity and notifications

Trying to find an area of the screen that won't obscure all applications is fruitless. There is no single location that won't end up obscuring SOME application's interface.
Popular applications such as GIMP (right and left), Inkscape (bottom and left) and Firefox (top) total to using all sides of the screen. OpenOffice.org Impress alone uses every side of the screen and is an application included by default.

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:10:35 +0100
From: kazade@xxxxxxxxx
To: turingt@xxxxxxxxx
CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] unity and notifications

We could do better with the fading, but I find myself unable to imagine

a situation where someone simultaneously (a) needs to see what's under a

notification bubble and (b) "needs the cursor elsewhere". Can you give

an example?

I think Michael Jonker already provided one at this very thread; that's why I elaborated on it. When working with the Gimp, he needed to see the layers panel while working on the scene, and it was obscured by the bubble.

This will happen in general whenever the top-right corner of the application contains an information panel, which is intended to contain readable data that can be read with a glance while working on the main interface. This is quite usual in IDEs and design tools.

Also of course, the Google search box in FF which I find regularly obstructed while typing (unless that's been fixed in Maverick or by "cursor", MPT meant cursor or caret).

Luke.