Re: How to handle multi-window launcher icons

Hello Christian,

In this specific example, a solution could be that Mozilla makes the buttons
> to open a new window, or open a new tab, more visible. It's important to
> draw a line from the responsabilities of the software and the operating
> system, and of course weight these corner cases.

I'ts not really something specific to Mozilla or Firefox. You might want to
take a screenshot of the "capture screen" app for a mockup; you need two
windows for that, but once you've opened one window there is no button to
open another, anywhere. You may get that case with many different apps and
the launcher is no good for launching a new window in these cases, whereas
the old panel launchers would serve that purpose.

I think if it's called the launcher it should *always* fulfill the role of
launching!

> I think it's something worth investigating. Thanks for share it with us.

I forgot to stress the importance of being able to close a window without
focusing it! Imagine that I'm chatting about a surprise party for my
girlfriend and she comes near the computer. I quickly cover the window with
another and distract her. From that point, using the old task bar, I could
just right-click the relevant task-bar entry and choose "close", but I can't
do that with the current iteration of the launcher.

Please consider that case too.

Thanks, David.