Re: 'Control Center' should be in 'Launcher' not in 'Session Menu'

On 11/03/11 12:39, M. Adnan Quaium wrote:
> Just got the news from the following link:
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/ubuntu-natty-adds-control-centre-entry-to-session-menu/
>
> My opinion is - 'Control Center' should be in 'Launcher' not in 'Session
> Menu'. Actually, Session menu has nothing in common with Control Center!
> The Control Center should be in launcher. So that people can easily get
> access to the control center.  I think it'll be very difficult to find
> out for the users that to change the preferences of his desktop he has
> to go to the Session Menu. Also by placing it on the launcher, it
> actually saves one click... :)
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> M. Adnan Quaium

Unless of course you're of the opinion (as I am) that the control centre
relates to session management/administration. Although I understand for
some this could be seen as a bit of a leap.

I would certainly accept that there is a justification for including the
control centre in the launcher (perhaps as an option). It could be
placed with the recycle bin at the bottom of the screen.

On 11/03/11 14:21, Kévin PEIGNOT wrote:

> I agree, maybe even with a dedicated unity-place instead of
> the traditionnal control center.
>
> --
> Envoyé depuis gmail, via Firefox 4 sur Ubuntu 10.10

I do like that idea; a means of highlighting administrative applications
and separating them from the hoi polloi of the regular applications
could be useful.

On 11/03/11 13:25, M. Adnan Quaium wrote:
> Another problem is, there is a chance to click the SHUT DOWN button
> mistakenly while clicking the CONTROL CENTRE.
>
> --
> M. Adnan Quaium

It was my understanding that such was the reasoning behind the shut-down
and restart confirmation dialogues. As an aside, why were similar
dialogues for standby and hibernate abandoned. That decision never made
much sense to me, and I do hope it's reversed at some point. I can't
count the number of times (actually I can, it's 4) that I've
accidentally put my computer into standby/hibernation via Docky's
session docklet.

Regards,

Lee Hyde.

--
"It is characteristic of theistic "tolerance" that no one really cares
what the people believe in, just so they believe or pretend to believe."

	-- Emma Goldman, The Philosophy of Atheism (1916)