Re: Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

On 03/15/2011 06:34 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

I was disappointed to see that in Unity, menus are invisible until you
mouse over where they are supposed to be. For a window, until you mouse
over it, the space reserved for its menus is taken up by an application
or window title. And for the desktop, until you mouse over it, the space
for its menus is completely empty.

The design John cited is not the menu bar specification
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MenuBar>, but a separate "The Unity Menu"
document that is new to me.
<https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfkkjjcj_1776g5ztgbc3>

And here I thought you 2 would be on the same team.

That switching behavior only makes sense to me in the maximised window case. I guess it's then shoehorned unto the non-max window case for consistency. Consistency is great, but sometimes there maybe a benefit in breaking it. Though it might be a design "smell", if your underlying concept drives you into such cases.

If menus are disliked that much, I wonder where the alternatives are? Piling everything up in one mega-menu is only acceptable for seldom used functionality. Many applications have way to many commands to put them into a toolbar or to sprinkle the interface with them.

Even in an application like Rhinocerus (rhino3d), where all commands are available in commandline at the bottom of the window, the menus help by letting you explore what's there and in case where you don't remember enough of a command name even for autocomplete. Though in Emacs, I have been doing fine with no menu at all.

Anyway, if menus are bad, menus where you can't aim for their top level items directly are even worse.

I have a simple proposal to fix these problems: The application title
should be removed from Unity's menu bar. I'm reliably informed that this
would be extremely low risk, in that it would involve changing two lines
of code.

The alternative would be to show both title and menu, but giving the menu priority. For habituation and quick aiming, it's important that the menu always starts in the same spot from the left (assuming LTR reading direction). To guarantee that, without using an offset from the left that will always be too small or too large, the title would have to be right-aligned to the right side of the window or panel. But clipped/faded-out on the right, when necessary.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/