Re: Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I see four major problems with hiding the menus and covering them with
> an application or window title.
>
> 1.  Most importantly, it makes the menus much harder to use.
>

> 2.  It makes some functions effectively invisible.

The above two problems are important to fix.

#3 is not that big of a problem - we should avoid it when we can, but if its
necessary, its better to have an eyesore than a interaction problem.

> 4.  The application or window title and the title bar are redundant, and
>    sometimes inconsistent too.

Although this is a problem, a title is necessary for maximized windows, so
it has to be shown for them.

I proposed a solution to this earlier on this list, but unfortunately, it
got no replies. However, I still believe that it can solve the problems
brought up here.

My basic idea is: https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/msg04555.html

However, I have a change: The Application Title should only be shown for
maximized windows, where it is necessary. Otherwise, only the menu should be
visible.