Re: Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

I, for one, love the integration of the menu and titlebars into the panel in
Natty. The decluttering of the workspace, or the "chromifization" (as in
Google Chrome, which started the wonderful trend of minimal interfaces and
the hiding of visual clutter) of Ubuntu is the main reason I am looking
forward to Natty.
So while I understand the concerns about the hidden menu, I agree with the
logic of not treating the menu as an indicator, and hiding it up in the
panel. Yes, there are a couple of small problems with this approach (mostly
discoverability for new users, people using Natty for the very first time),
but my opinion is the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
My vote, for what it's worth, is to keep it the way it is!
That said, I would not oppose having the menu in the panel being shown by
default, instead of the title, in the case of non-maximized windows, with
the title/menu overlap occurring only for maximized windows.

Marc Lajoie