Re: Design problems in general

I gladly concede the point. But that's exactly the sort of situation that
requires interaction, conversation in order to resolve.

Coming back to the analogy of having bakers design a nuclear reactor: I find
this to be a faulty analogy. A better analogy would be engineers designing a
professional baking oven.
The engineer insists, "No, you know nothing about heat flow, etc. This is
how the oven should be designed."
The baker answers, "But that doesn't correspond to the way I cook!"
A conversation is needed between both to make the ideal oven, because each
lacks information needed for the optimal design. The bakers lack the
science, the engineers knowledge of how it will actually be used.

Or here's another variation, closer to the situation. If nuclear technicians
(who are not engineers, but often just operate the equipment) don't find the
interface to the nuclear reactors intuitive and usable, that's a problem, no
matter what the nuclear engineers say!

Bakers are not the (direct) users of nuclear plants. I will be a direct user
of Ubuntu.

Conversation's the key, baby!
Marc Lajoie