Re: Design problems in general

On 16/03/11 13:01, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Especially given the huge role habituation and familiarity play in early
> evaluation of concepts and implementations by users.
>
> It's a small step from workflow to ritual.
>
> Sometimes the problem may be certain users stubbornness rather than
> anything else, especially if you design for the long term. So the answer
> may have to be wrapped up in a strategy to "sell" it.

I do agree, much written on this list is about familiarity.
But it is also about preferences, ie. some people prefer keyboard
commands and some prefer using the mouse.
In simplifying the UI we are reducing choice.
I like simple I also like choice....

I am optimistic we will end up with a good design, but for me there is a
lot more discussion to go.

David