Re: Design problem: Menus hidden by default in Unity

On Monday, March 28, 2011 5:44 AM Vishnoo wrote:

However, for app like Web-browsers, main window of email clients,inkscape,..., they should probably open at maximum screen size. Eventhis depends on the hardware. If someone has a 24" monitor, they mightnot need the window at that size. While for laptops/15" monitors amaximum window size might be good for these apps.A couple of problems come to mind with "fixed window sizes". In all cases one must consider that I have very poor visual acuity.

1) For quite some time 'gcalctool' has followed a fixed size principle which has prompted me to use 'galculator' which allows me to grab one corner and expand the window to a usable size for my own needs.

2) Another good example of fixed window size being problematic is in ubiquity and described here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/628097

please notice in post #12 I reference bug 715401 which is a different example (one of several) describing how the fixed window size results in some ubiquity windows running off-screen (aka: not fitting) with certain small screens.

3) Due to my aforementioned poor visual acuity I bump the screen resolution of my 22" widescreen from it's native 1680x1050 to 1440x900, and I still need to run most apps, like browsers, text editors, word processors, etc in a maximized window. But if one of my children or grandchildren uses the computer I set the resolution back to it's norm and they quite often work in the same workspace with 2 or 3 apps displayed at the same time. I did the same before my eyesight began to fail :^)

I'd hate to see us remove so much of the ability to customize Ubuntu that we drive people to a different DE, or worst yet, a different distro.

If we want to make any improvements we need to collect a large pool ofuser data like how Firefox did to reduce its menu (yea, I know you hatethat FF menu ;p )We really need to collect mass user data as to how people are usingtheir application windows, at what sizes they use the app and how oftenthey are resizing.I can't totally disagree with that but we shouldn't let the "majority" decide to eliminate functions or the ability to customize as may be needed by various small "corner" groups such as the visually impaired.

Thanks to all for the great work on Unity so far,

Lance

Follow ups