Re: New natty scrollbar issues

2011/4/11 Martín Soto <donsoto@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Mitja Pagon <mitja.pagon@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I see this scrollbars as another solution in search of a problem to solve
>> and in the process introducing more problems than it solves.  When will
>> people realize that this is not the right approach to do things.
>
> The main advantage of the new scrollbars is that their real estate
> consumption is essentially 0. This may feel as a minor change when you're
> sitting in front of a 25" screen, but on my tiny notebook where every pixel
> counts, the improvement is significant. So yes, there are still some issues,
> but calling the scrollbars "another solution in search of a problem" appears
> quite unfair to me.
>
> M. S.

In addition, the overlay scrollbars consuming 0 pixels in the layout
resolves a pretty significant long-standing issue with scrollbars.

In a lot of cases with old scrollbars, the addition of a vertical
scrollbar forces the addition of a horizontal scrollbar because of the
space now being given to that vertical scrollbar. In that same
fashion, resizing a window with a scrollbar so that it no longer has a
scrollbar requires that you resize past the necessary space as well as
the extra space taken up by the scrollbar. This was actually happening
to the installer slideshow: in a few cases Ubiquity ended up giving it
a scrollbar even though, by the time the slideshow appeared to the
user, it was given the right amount of space. (If it wasn't given a
scrollbar in the first place, it wouldn't need one).

So, there was very much a technical problem here now resolved :)

Dylan