Re: New natty scrollbar issues

> Sorry, but every pixel counts is not a definition of a problem. Before
> coming up with a solution, first you have to define what the problem
> you are trying to solve is. This is the supposed problem as defined by
> Christian Giordano, the man behind this scroll bar implementation:
>
> "Today’s scrollbars are optimized for cursor driven UI but they became
> easily unnecessary and bulky on touchable and small screen devices. In
> those cases, optimization of the screen’s real-estate becomes
> essential. Other platforms optimized for touch input like Android and
> iOS are already using a light-weight solution visible only while
> dragging the content."
>
> I don't see any definition of any problems in there, just some
> presumptions. I'm not saying scroll couldn't be improved, it's just
> the approach that I believe is wrong, hence solution in search of a
> problem.

The problem *is* clear: "scrollbars are optimized for cursor driven
UI but they became easily unnecessary and bulky on touchable and
small screen devices."

The issue is that the solution is *incomplete*: in order to improve
the experience for touch screens, mouse users were forgotten and
their experience that was previously optimized is not anymore.

Ironically, this is the *opposite* of the menu-on-hover issue, where
mouse users were prioritized and touch screen users were forgotten.

It seems that, in addition to John and Matthew not talking to each
other, Christian and John are also not talking to each other.

Matthew has already acknowledged that there's no such thing as an
interface optimal for both mouse and touch, so the design team
should either make up their mind about what they're optimizing
for, or Canonical should release an Ubuntu Touch Edition and
separate the design projects accordingly.