Re: New natty scrollbar issues

----- "Conscious User" <conscioususer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem *is* clear: "scrollbars are optimized for cursor driven
> UI but they became easily unnecessary and bulky on touchable and
> small screen devices."

Actually it's not, the definition is vague and overly generalized. Also it's based on a false assumption that you can optimize for both cursor driven an touch interfaces. Another assumption is that scrollbars are unnecessary on small screen devices.

> The issue is that the solution is *incomplete*: in order to improve
> the experience for touch screens, mouse users were forgotten and
> their experience that was previously optimized is not anymore.

See above point and your last paragraph.

> Ironically, this is the *opposite* of the menu-on-hover issue, where
> mouse users were prioritized and touch screen users were forgotten.

I was thinking of bringing up that exact same point.

> It seems that, in addition to John and Matthew not talking to each
> other, Christian and John are also not talking to each other.

You call it lack of talking, I call it a lack of coherent vision, worrying nonetheless.

> Matthew has already acknowledged that there's no such thing as an
> interface optimal for both mouse and touch, so the design team
> should either make up their mind about what they're optimizing
> for, or Canonical should release an Ubuntu Touch Edition and
> separate the design projects accordingly.

That would be hard, as it would require an investment beyond the shell (big part of the problem are applications which are not touch optimized). An interesting endeavor it would be, but one we are unlikely to see.

Cheers,
Mitja