Re: Awesome critical review of Unity

It's beginning to feel like a lot of us were involuntarily shifted out of Ubuntu's demographic overnight.

The titlebar being a waste of space is totally subjective and a matter of opinion. But it is my-way-or-the-highway opinions like this that are now driving the new one-size-fits-all philosphy of Canonical and Ubuntu fanboys.

I would be all for trying out having application menus moved into a drop-down in the window control / title bar, for all windows, regardless of whether maximized or not, and regardless of where I place my panel / dock / whatever we calling it this week (horizontal, vertical, one panel, two panels, etc). Some of us don't want application menus and window titles limiting what I can have on our panels.

And even this drop-down application menu in the window title bar should be a toggle-able setting. Don't tell users what to do. If a user with two 30 inch monitors wants to retain menu bars inside application windows, there is no reason to take that away from a user.

This would retain more respect for users who already have preferred working habits, large screens, multiple monitors, etc. A lot of us are content with "window" having a meaning and "panel" having a separate meaning. Bored designers should just tweak their own desktops. Then when they are experiencing a fit of one-size-fits-all thinking, they won't hurt anybody.