Windows in Unity

Hi,

Using Natty since Alpha 3, I've noticed a few pitfalls. First, it's not easy
to view and select open windows of the same program, and open new windows.
Secondly, the menu bar in the panel, when the window is not maximised, and
being completely hidden until the mouse cursor hovers on it's location.

For switching windows of the same program, while I cannot come up with an
easy graphical means, I've got a good suggestion. Since we're already used
to changing windows with Alt + Tab, we can use Shift + Tab to switch windows
of the same program, as if to say, "shift between windows". Similarly, we
can use Ctrl + Tab to open a window of the same program, as in "control the
program".

Integrating the menu bars into the panel was an welcome move to save screen
real state,, but not a very good proposition for unmaximised windows. I'm in
the camp of having the menus in title bars of unmaximised windows - it
simply makes sense. And regarding the completely hidden nature of menu bars,
it's not something a new user would figure out that the menu bar is in the
panel or title bar - and if Unity is being designed for touch devices, how
will the even access the mebu bar? I think it should be slightly faded but
come out strong when mouse hovers on them (or when a menu is selected in
case of a touch device). It will give a nice ambiance as well, I'm sure most
will agree.

Thanks for taking my comments and suggestion into consideration.

Toki

Follow ups