Re: Awesome critical review of Unity

On 15 April 2011 17:40, Biturica <biturica@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've already mentioned on this list the things that broke for me in Ubuntu
> Classic -- but Ubuntu Classic is irrelevant anyway as it will be gone by
> October.
>
> The old shell is going away, regardless of what is default. The current
> iteration of the "the old shell" breaks things. It's a no-win for those who
> do not want Unity or Gnome Shell. Hopefully RHEL or someone will pick up
> that "old shell" ball.

Gnome Shell also includes a Fallback interface built on metacity and
gnome-panel for those whose graphics cards can't handle the new
interface. The intention is to make the interface look as close to
Gnome Shell by default but it may meet your needs.

There are a lot of different desktops available in Ubuntu that will
not be on the primary CD (Unity and Unity 2D) but should work well:
Gnome Shell, Gnome Fallback, XFCE, LXDE, KDE, etc. XFCE (used by the
official derivative Xubuntu) is similar to Gnome 2.

I do not have a problem with the target audience for new users being
users who have not used Ubuntu yet. Ubuntu is by no means wanting to
dump all of their existing userbase but the desire we all should have
is that the userbase expands and you can't get there without appealing
to new users.

Jeremy Bicha