Re: Some feedback regarding Unity

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Adrian Maier <syraxes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hopefully there is interest in getting feedback about it .  So here are some
> remarks about this new default interface of Ubuntu Linux.

I agree with everything you said, a lot has already been raised by
other too so I guess there are good chances for seeing most of it
answered in a "2.0".

> - I don't think that I can get used to the new concept of mixing
> "application buttons" with "started applications". I prefer a separate
>  region on the screen used for displaying the open applications .

On OS X this bothered me too. I found a workaround: I removed ALL
icons from the dock, only running apps would be represented in the
Dock. For launching I exclusively used Quicksilver (launcher like
GNOME-Do).

When I had many windows per application open I still missed a real
window-centric taskbar but with Expose in a hotcorner it's acceptable
and sometimes (when working with images and not with same looking
text/document windows) even better than the Windows/GNOME2/KDE
taskbar.

The Unity launcher has one problem that makes it less usable for this
workflow: when there are more than one window on a desktop per
application you need to click twice to switch to it (first on the
launcher and then the scaled window). The OS X dock simply brings all
windows of an application to the foreground with one single click.
Most often this is what I want because if I want to switch to one
particular window I will use Super+W/Expose.